Music festivals have become a staple of summer must-see events and our 4th Annual Class Axe Guitars Calabogie Blues & Ribfest is no exception. Hours of live music, smokin’ hot food, chilled beverages, sunshine and good times all make for a jam-packed weekend of fun and excitement but there are some tips to help you enjoy the fun all through the weekend. Whether you’re camping on site with us from Friday to Sunday or simply spending a day enjoying the show, here’s some suggestions to make sure the fun isn’t interrupted.
The Bare Essentials
Regardless of how long you’ll be on site, it’s always handy to pack a few fundamentals to deal with the environment.
- Sunscreen and a hat – Sitting outside in the sun all day is just asking for trouble, so that’s why these two items are listed first on the list (especially if you’re bringing the kids with you).
- Rain gear – Sure, we’d love to have nothing but sun all weekend long, but that’s not our call. Should the rain start to fall, you’ll be glad you came prepared.
- Bug spray – As much as we might not like it, the bugs lived here first and the tantalizing aroma of BBQ ribs is sure to attract them from across the valley.
- Blankets or small camping chairs – Why not make yourself as comfortable as possible? Many camping chairs come with cup holders and pouches to keep all your extra goodies handy at all times.
- Refillable plastic containers – As an outdoor festival, there are no glass containers allowed. If you’re planning on keeping bottles of water handy at all times, go plastic and reuse as often as possible.
- If you’re camping, you’ll want to haul a little more than that but the benefit is that you’ll automatically have more room to bring more gear.
- Tent and tarp – Listed first for all the right reasons and the tarp comes in handy should rain fall overnight.
- Toiletries – Soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant and anything else you’ll need to stay fresh and clean throughout the weekend. They’re not just for single people, you know.
- Coolers – As outside food and beverages are not allowed within the concert area, you’ll want to keep your own handy while gathered around your campsite mingling with friends both old and new. No one wants to drink a warm beer while grooving to the blues!
- Small propane cooking stove – As open flames are not permitted, should you want to cook up some of your own grub at your campsite, this is the way to go.
- A flag/ribbon to mark your site – Have a little fun with this one and put up something with your family crest, a pirate flag or a funky design of your own creation.
What NOT To Bring
Every list of what to bring must be balanced with another list of things not permitted on the grounds. To ensure everyone has an equal opportunity to enjoy the festival and avoid unwanted incidents, please comply with the following conditions.
- No pets allowed – While they’re great companions, they’re not for everyone.
- Generators – If you’re bringing your RV, there are electrical hook-ups available (spaces limited).
- Glass bottles – As mentioned before, no glass containers are permitted on the property.
- Aerosol sprays
- Bicycles, scooters, ATVs, etc – All vehicles are to be keep off the grounds at all times (barring RVs, of course) for safety and maintenance of the grounds.
- Any weapons, illegal substances and fireworks – We have a zero tolerance policy. If you bring any of these onto the grounds, you will be removed by security.
For more details on these and other aspects of the festival, check out www.calabogieblues.com. We’ll see you this weekend!